As returning VIKs know, we revamped our Vikings Fundraising Program in Summer 2018. We no longer require families to engage in individual fundraising efforts to lower their fees – now, all money raised through Vikings fundraising efforts will benefit the club as a whole! Please read on to learn all about our new approach to fundraising…
Vikings Fundraising: A Change in Focus
Before 2018, Vikings families were required to pay a fundraising deposit when they registered for the summer season. Families then had various opportunities throughout the summer to earn their deposit back by engaging in individual fundraising activities offered by the Club. This approach to fundraising was designed to benefit individual members rather than the Club.
After much discussion and reflection, the Board decided to shift the fundraising efforts of our members towards the club as a whole.
As a result, we no longer require parents to provide a fundraising deposit – which means that your overall fees at registration are lower! In return, we are asking our members to help us fundraise (a modest amount) to benefit the Club as a whole!
As reflected in our 2017 parent feedback survey, a key strength for our Club is a sense of belonging and community. Fundraising to benefit our program and our swimmers is directly in line with this Vikings value. Fundraising together to help each other will strengthen our sense of community AND strengthen our financial position – it’s a win-win for the Club, and therefore our members.
Our Group Fundraising Goal for the Vikings for 2019 is $5,000 – Help us reach it!!
Make sure check to out the fundraising thermometer graphic on the right hand side of our website to follow our progress!
(A note about the KidSport Swim-a-thon: Some families have asked about how the KidSport Swimathon on June 25th fits into the Vikings fundraising program. In fact, it doesn’t. The Swimathon is a completely separate event that the Club participates in as a way to give back to our larger BC community. The Swimathon is a one-time event that happens every year at Kits Beach. It combines all the best of summer swimming – including fitness and fun – and allows us to support a cause that we believe in – organized youth sport. The money raised through the Swimathon event goes to KidSport, a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under.)
Group Fundraising Opportunities for 2019
**All of the dates and information below relate to our 2019 Summer season. We will update this information in Spring 2020.**
This summer, we are inviting you to support the Club and our swimmers through various Club-focused group fundraising activities. As always, participation is optional, but we encourage you to participate to the extent you are able. Any funds raised through the below activities will go directly to the Club.
Remember, what’s good for the Club is good for your swimmers!
Vikings Burger and Beer Trivia Night Fundraiser
Vikings, we are very excited to announce a NEW PARENT SOCIAL event (for adults only) that has the benefit of acting as a FUNDRAISER for the club!
On Wednesday June 5, we will be holding our first Vikings Vikings Burger and Beer / Trivia Night Fundraiser at the Cheese Inn on Dunbar:
- When: Wednesday June 5, 2019, 6:00 pm (trivia starts at approximately 7:00 pm and goes until 9:00 pm)
- Where: Cheese Inn, 4585 Dunbar St, Vancouver
- What: Food, drink, trivia, and an opportunity to socialize with your VIK parent friends and meet new ones!
- Who: Adults only (Coaches included), due to limited seating capacity at the Cheese
- Cost: $25 total for a burger, beer and fundraising donation to the club ($15 for the burger and beer, $10 to the club!) (If you wish to buy additional food or drink, this will be charged directly to you personally at the pub / time of purchase.)
Registration for our pub / trivia night is now closed.
Vikings Swim Meet
This year’s annual Vikings Meet at the Beach will offer two opportunities to raise funds for the Club.
- Meet Program Ads. Once again, we will be selling ads in our Meet Program for the Vikings Meet at the Beach in mid-July: You can sell an ad, or place your own in the Program. With up to 500 swimmers registered at the Meet, and their families in attendance, advertising in the Meet Program is an excellent way to promote your business (or that of someone you know). The cost of the ads range from $50 – 300, and 100% of the money paid for the ad will go back to the club. The 2018 Advertising Rate Sheet (we will post the 2019 version when it is available) and the 2019 sample business request letter are found here: Vancouver-Vikings-Swim-Club-Rate-Card-2019 2019-Vikings-Business-Request-Letter
- Vikings Concession Stand. For the second year in a row, we are planning to have a Vikings-hosted “concession stand”, where we will sell snacks, coffee and other beverages.
All proceeds from the sales of these items will go directly to the Club!
Progressive Gift Card Sales – Order Deadline July 4, 2019
As in past years, we will be selling gift cards through Progressive Sales, which includes a wide range of retailers and restaurants. You may sell these gift cards to neighbours, friends and coworkers or buy them for yourself.
For each card you buy or sell, the Club will receive a commission, i.e. a $$ donation towards its 2019 fundraising goal of $5,000. (In past years, the individual parent received the commission and applied it towards their individual fundraising goal.)
The gift card options include various grocery stores, restaurants, spas and other business, with commission rates ranging from 2% to 10%!
This means that if every Vikings family commits to buying one month’s worth of groceries through our Progressive fundraiser (by buying gift cards for IGA, Choices, Superstore, Save On, Safeway or Stong’s), we will be well on our way to meeting our $5000 goal!!
Here are just three examples of the gift card options available through Progressive Sales:
- Choices: Commission rate is 7%, i.e. you buy or sell $100 gift card and the Club receives $7 towards its fundraising goal.
- White Spot: Commission rate is 15%, i.e. you buy or sell $100 gift card and the Club receives $15 towards its fundraising goal.
- Starbucks: Commission rate is 5%, i.e. you buy or sell $100 worth of gift cards, and the Club receives $5 towards its fundraising goal.
The Progressive Gift Card Order form, which includes a full listing of the gift cards available for purchase and their commission rate can be found here.
To order gift cards, please do one of the following by July 4:
- Complete the Order Form by hand or electronically and email it to VikingsGiftCards@gmail.com.
- Send an email to VikingsGiftCards@gmail.com with the following information: (1) Swimmer’s name; (2) Swimmer’s group; (3) Parent’s name; (4) Phone number; (5) Store(s) name(s); (6) Denomination; and (7) Amount.
- Starbucks 10 X $25 = $250
- T & T 3 X $100 = $300
This fundraising opportunity is being offered only ONCE during the summer swim season and the cards will be ready for pick up at the Meet at the Beach on July 13 and 14, 2019. You must pay for your cards at the time of pick up by cash or cheque.
This year’s deadline to order gift cards is July 4, 2019!! Please submit your orders by email to VikingsGiftCards@gmail.com.
Order now!! Pick up and pay on July 13 & 14 at the Meet at the Beach. Thank you so much for supporting our swimmers!
Finally, direct monetary donations towards the Club’s fundraising target are ALWAYS welcome, in any amount!
If you would like to make a direct donation to support the VIKs, please email our Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions about our program or your options? Email us at email@example.com.