The Vancouver Vikings Swim Club is a non-profit, parent-run, competitive summer swim club that has been in operation since 1981, originally operating as the Mount Pleasant Swim Club. We changed our name to the Vancouver Vikings in 1984 to reflect the club’s larger demographic. We belong to the Vancouver & District Region of the BCSSA, one of eight regions in the province. The other clubs in our region are the North Shore Winter Club Marlins, the North Vancouver Cruisers, the Squamish Pirates and the Vancouver Super Sharks.
The club’s goals are to:
- introduce young athletes to the environment of competitive swimming,
- teach them the skills required for racing, and
- encourage each athlete to attain his or her own personal best achievement in a fun and friendly environment.
A priority of the club is to foster a passion for swimming and to create an atmosphere of fun while learning how to be competitive. The emphasis is on fun. The competitive skills learned at Vikings have proven to be essential life skills that will benefit swimmers not only in the pool, but also in other areas of their lives. These skills include:
- Character Development through commitment, hard work and perseverance.
- Striving for Excellence through the achievement of best times, ribbons, medals and trophies.
- Sportsmanship from teamwork and encouragement as well as lessons learned on how to handle winning and losing gracefully.
- Building of Community from learning to build strong and lasting friendships and from learning to create a sense of “family” within the club.
- Active Lifestyle through the promotion of health and fitness as part of everyday life.
Aside from swimming, Vikings also organizes several social events through the season for all members of the Vikings family – parents as well as swimmers. These events help to foster team unity as well as provide opportunities for just having fun! Vikings has a warm family atmosphere that not only encourages but also draws parents to become actively involved in the club alongside their children. See our Events page for more information.