Vikings Volunteers, Welcome!
It takes a village to run a successful swim club…or at least a large group of engaged, enthusiastic, and committed parent volunteers! Luckily for Vikings parents, volunteering for our summer swim club is also an extremely fun way to connect with other swim families and enjoy the hours we spend poolside together.
Everything you need to know about your volunteer obligations are set out in detail below. We have also created a Volunteer Log Sheet (click here) for you to record your volunteer hours and submit to our Volunteer Coordinator at the end of the season.
NOTE: Volunteer Fees and Duties apply to the summer session ONLY.
**Now, please read on to find out what we need from you, and how you can get involved!!**
- 15 Hour Minimum OR $225. During the summer season, each family (regardless of the number of swimmers per family) must complete at least 15 volunteer hours for the Club. Families who do not complete all or part of their 15 volunteer hours during the season will be required to pay their outstanding volunteer fees (up to $225) at the end of August 2018. Payment will occur via credit card which each family is asked to save to their online Active.com account. [Note: At the time of registration, a Vikings family may chose to “buy-out” their volunteer requirements by paying $225 along with their registration fees. This “buy-out” election is non-reversible, and DOES NOT apply to the volunteer hours required at both the Meet at the Beach and Regional (see below).]
PLUS (i.e. in addition to these 15 hours):
- 8 Hours at the Vikings “Meet at the Beach”, mid July. Each family will be scheduled for 4 hours per day (for a total of 8 hours) on the weekend that we host our annual “Meet at the Beach” at the Vancouver Aquatic Centre! (See below for more information about this meet.) These volunteer hours are MANDATORY.
- Regionals (early to mid August) and Provincials (mid to late August). If your children are swimming at either or both of the Regional or Provincial meets in August, you are expected to volunteer at these events as well. These volunteer hours are MANDATORY.
Families who do not complete all or part of their 15 volunteer hours during the season will be required to pay their outstanding volunteer fees (up to $225) at the end of August 2018. Payment will occur via credit card which each family is asked to save to their online Active.com account. [Note: At the time of registration, a Vikings family may chose to “buy-out” their volunteer requirements by paying $225 along with their registration fees. This “buy-out” election is non-reversible, and DOES NOT apply to the volunteer hours required at both the Meet at the Beach and Regional (see below).]
Keep in mind that families with unpaid volunteer fees will not be permitted to register for any subsequent swim sessions.
- Club Activities and Functions. The Club organizes and presents a variety of social and other events throughout the season, beginning with our Blue & White in May. You can take on the task of organizing these events or activities, or agree to fulfill certain duties during the event itself (set up, take down, etc.). We will regularly put out a call by email for volunteers for particular events and jobs that need to be done, so keep your eye out for these!
- Vikings Volunteer Group Leaders. We are always looking for engaged and enthusiastic parents to “lead” the various volunteer projects within our club (e.g. Fundraising, Social Events, etc.). If you are interested in taking on a leadership role in any of our volunteer areas, please contact any member of the current Board.
- Swim Meets. Starting at the end of May, the Vikings compete in a different swim meet nearly every weekend of the summer, right up until Provincials in late August. (All of our 2018 Meets are posted on the Events calendar of our website.) These weekly meets offer the immensely enjoyable volunteer activity of timing swimmers on deck during their races – trust us, this is easy and fun! Each family can sign up for one timing shift when you arrive each morning at a swim meet, and sign up for subsequent shifts one hour after the start of the meet. Additionally, you can work as a stroke and turn judge, place judge, or referee, all of which require specific training, which we will offer to those who are interested.
- As we explained above, in addition to your minimum 15 volunteer hours, your family must also work a minimum of 4 hours per day at the annual “Meet at the Beach”, hosted by the Vikings Swim Club at the Vancouver Aquatic Centre in mid July. Be sure to save that date! Hosting this meet helps us to offset our costs and keep our fees as low as possible – and it is because of our parents’ active participation at this event that the Vikings are able to offer the kind of high-quality, organized, and enjoyable swim meet that we have become known for.
- All Vikings parents must do their part by contributing food and / or performing on-site tasks, such as set-up/take-down, on-deck duties (e.g. timing), marshalling, ticket sales, silent auction, food service, etc.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will create a master schedule of all volunteer shifts for the weekend, and we will advise of your assigned shifts prior to the meet. Please note that it may not be possible to accommodate everyone’s shift preferences.
- If you work more than the required 4 hours per day at this meet, the additional time can be credited towards your minimum 15 hour requirement.
- Although we expect ALL Vikings families to participate in the Meet at the Beach, we understand that sometimes, things happen. Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator as soon as possible if your family not be able to attend this event so that we can arrange alternate duties for you to complete in advance of the meet.
Each family must log and record its completed volunteer hours, and have these hours verified by the Volunteer Coordinator, or a coach or executive member. To earn credit for the work you have done, please submit a completed Vancouver Vikings Volunteer Log to the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org in August. We will send out a reminder by email when these are due.