In 2020, the Vikings are offering two options for swimmers who either must or wish to compete in BCSSA’s OCAT category.
Option 1: OCAT Limited Training Program
NOTE: The Vikings have a total of only 4 spots available in this program for the 2020 summer season: 2 in OCAT 1 (1 girl, 1 boy) and 2 in OCAT 2 (1 girl, 1 boy).
Eligibility: To be eligible for the OCAT Limited Training Program, a swimmer must be registered with a winter swim club and meet at least one BC provincial time standard. Given the limited space available in our OCAT Limited Training Program, meeting the eligibility criteria will NOT automatically guarantee a swimmer a spot in the Vikings.
Application and Registration:
- New AND returning swimmers who wish to be considered for the Limited Training OCAT Program must email our Head Coach at email@example.com between March 1 and April 1, 2020 to request acceptance into the Program.
- In their email, the swimmer should (1) specify which winter club he/she is currently registered with, (2) provide details of meeting BC provincial time standards, (3) express their commitment to meet the practice and meet attendance requirements set out below and (4) state whether they are willing to register in our OCAT Full Training Program (see Option 2 below) if they are not accepted into our Limited Training Program.
- The Head Coach will contact the swimmer (or parent) to advise whether the swimmer may register in the Limited Training Program for the summer season. If accepted, the swimmer must register by the date specified by the Head Coach.
Summer Swimming Fees: $400 + $50 non-refundable BCSSA fees ($450 total) per swimmer.
Volunteer requirements: $105 deposit OR 7 hours, PLUS volunteering at the Vikings Meet at the Beach (2 hours each day, 4 hours total), and at both Regionals and Provincials. See our Volunteering page for more details.
Practices: From May 1 to June 30, the swimmer MUST attend 2 practices per week (but no more than 2).
Meets: The swimmer may attend as many meets as he/she wishes from May through August, but MUST attend at least one swim meet before Regionals (which takes place in early August); we strongly encourage swimmers to swim at the Vikings Meet at the Beach in July. The swimmer must attend Regionals and Provincials.
The swimmer’s parent must agree to the terms of this Program in writing.
Option 2: OCAT Full Training Program
- Eligibility and Registration: Any returning swimmer who does not meet the eligibility criteria above, or does not wish to commit to the practice and meet expectations of our Limited Training Program, but intends to compete in the OCAT category in 2020, may register as a regular returning swimmer between March 1 and 15.
- Fees and Volunteering: Participants in the OCAT Full Training Program must pay the same fees ($850 + $50 BCSSA fee, total $900) and satisfy the same volunteer requirements as non-OCAT swimmers ($225 deposit / 15 hours, plus volunteering at Meet at the Beach, Regionals and Provincials).
- Practices and Meets: There are no restrictions on the number of practices or meets a swimmer in our OCAT Full Training Program may or must attend.