By Savannah King, Coach, SR1
Your VIK Coaches have continually stressed all season how important it is to have the right eating habits when you’re swimming. I wanted to share with you some of my favourite meals to have during swim meets…
1) Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3 ears of fresh corn kernals, or 1½ cups frozen corn
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped thinly
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons concentrated tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1½ cups cooked long grain rice
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 6 bell peppers (yellow is best in my opinion!)
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choosing
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown the ground beef in a large fry pan over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until cooked almost through. Add the mushrooms, corn kernals, chopped celery, onion and garlic and cook until vegetables are softened. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Season with kosher salt and ground pepper to taste and cook for 15-20 minutes. Stir in cooked rice and chopped parsley and cook for another 5 minutes or until the rice is warmed through.
- Meanwhile, cut off the tops of the peppers and spoon out the ribs and seeds, then rinse. Lightly sprinkle the inside of the peppers with kosher salt and place in a microwave safe dish with ¼ cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Transfer to a 3-quart baking dish and fill the peppers with the hot meat and rice mixture. Sprinkle the tops with cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until peppers are tender and cheese is browned. Serve hot.
2) BBQ Chicken Breast & Asparagus
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch asparagus spear trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon, brown sugar, Worcestershire, garlic, thyme, oregano and rosemary. Reserve 1/4 cup and set aside.
- In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine balsamic vinegar mixture and chicken; marinate for at least 1 hour to overnight, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade.
- Brush asparagus with vegetable oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Add chicken to grill and cook, flipping once and basting with reserved 1/4 cup marinade until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Place asparagus on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning occasionally, until tender and slightly charred, about 7 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.